According to a recent survey by Colgate toothpaste, 79 percent of singles spend a 47 minutes getting ready for a first date. That includes both men and women. 42 percent admit that they like to believe each date is a chance to meet “the one.” Additionally, 40 percent of singles say smoking is a deal-breaker for romance, while 5 percent refuse to go out on a second date with someone who insists on answering his or her cell phone during the first.
Here are the things that Men’s Health says guys shouldn’t say or do on a first date.
- Don’t tell her how much money you make; sell your personality, not your susceptibility to extortionist divorce settlements.
- Don’t get drunk. You look stupid, and you say stupid things.
- Do not attempt to rub knees unless you’re getting serious signals. These do not include, yawning, blinking, or wearing a skimpy top.
- Don’t say her “chi is stalled.” New Age men make great yoga instructors. That doesn’t mean she wants to sleep with one.
- Do not use the word “proactive” unless she’s specifically told you of her mad attraction to motivational speakers.
- Do not refer to your “issues” unless she’s specifically told you of her mad attraction to men in analysis.
- Don’t dress creatively. On a first date, she needs reassurance that you’re normal. Prove you’re a “funky guy” some other time.
- Don’t give everything away, especially on the family/ex-girlfriend tragedy front. a) You’ll need something to talk about on the second and third dates. And b) there’s a very real chance she may never return from the ladies room.
- Avoid leaving your shirt unbuttoned to the naval. Imagination is a powerful thing.
- Don’t go on and on about high school. There’s a certain kind of man for whom the mid-to-late teen years still factor as the most glorious period of his life. Chances are she is not interested in getting to know this man any better.
- Even if you’re curious, do not, under any circumstances, ask her if her breasts are real.
- If it was your idea to go out, it’s your responsibility to pick up the check. If it was hers, split it.
- Don’t wear dirty socks or underwear. (You never know)