Here are five ways to handle the situation when bumping into an ex and his/her new mate, according to Dating and Personals:
- Put a smile on your face and say hello. Introduce yourself, but make the conversation brief. This will take two minutes; you can fall apart right after. Be the adult and act gracious and pleasant – to both of them.
- Say a quick hello and make up an excuse that you’re in a rush to meet someone. This will get you out of there fast and possibly make him/her wonder who you’re meeting.
- If you’re in the same place for a length of time, acknowledge him/her in the moment, but wait until his/her mate goes to the bathroom before you actually approach and say hello.
- If stopping to talk is too difficult, you can make eye contact with him/her and simply nod or wave. No one says you have to talk.
- If at any moment you feel like you are going to get upset, turn around and leave quietly. If you know you can’t handle it – just go.